Here is a list of 10 things Americans should have been doing to strengthen their communities and empower themselves sociopolitically, economically, and technologically over the past 2 years instead of having obsessed over the ultimately irrelevant process known as Election 2016.
It is ultimately irrelevant because regardless of who wins, just like in 2008 when Barack Obama took office, all of the abuses and wars raging now will continue, and all the wars meant to begin under the previous president will be justified and executed under whoever the new president happens to be.
Imagine if you accomplished even one of these 10 things in the list below over the past 2 years, and if many more did so as well. What a world we would live in instead of clinging to the false hope of some establishment representative finally “changing things” for us instead of just stringing us along for another 4 years…
2. Visit your local makerspace/hackerspace to learn a new skill: can take as little as 1-2 weeks to learn a new skill.
4. Replace a percentage of your power consumption with solar.
5. Replace a percentage of your big-retail food with food grown locally and sold at your local farmers’ market.
6. Visit your local community lab to learn more about disrupting big-pharma monopolies.
7. Grow a fraction of your own food in your own part-time hobby garden.
8. Go online and teach yourself a new skill for free instead of wasting money (and ending up in debt) on a formal education: or learn IT skills on YouTube regarding almost any topic from 3D design to programming.
9. Buy a 3D printer and start your own 3D design and printing service: would take about 2 years to learn everything and get good enough at it to provide a basic service for friends, family, community, and colleagues.
10. Start your own blog about politics, technology, farming, gardening or anything else constructive and empowering to create networks, share information, and inspire others to break free of the current Wall Street-Washington controlled paradigm.
None of these will transform the world overnight. However, none of the problems we face were created overnight nor will they be fixed overnight. Our problems weren’t created by a single person nor will they be solved by a single person or single solution.
It will take lots of effort along many fronts by many people to create the world we want to live in – but only if we are committed to building that world ourselves, with our own two hands, instead of constantly deferring this responsibility to others how have demonstrated they have no intention of doing so.
LocalOrg seeks to explore local solutions to global problems by empowering people locally with education and technology to not only survive, but to thrive.